Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WebsiteWebsite  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The importance of hit rating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sudo

Sudo

Character Information
Name: Lomein
Class: Druid
Proffesions: Skinning, Leatherworking

The importance of hit rating Empty
PostSubject: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 5:05 am

Some people on the forums have been asking about hit rating (how much do you need? What is my classes/specs hit cap, etc). For spellcasters the easiest way to find your hit cap is here (if you scroll down there's a table that will help you).

Why is hit cap important? First of all, hit rating is meant to increase your hit chance on mobs (mostly on the level 83 raid boss). When you have a chance to miss a target, then your DPS is decreased by that chance over an infinite amount of time. For instance, if you have a 97% chance to hit, then the DPS you are doing on recount is only 97% of what you are really able to do, but thats over an infinite period of time (because all random number generation averages out after an infinite amount of time). Usually spellcasters have a rotation they stick to, which include low damage attacks and when a certain ability procs, the few high damage attacks ( Arcane mages – Missile Barrage, Arcane Barrage, Fire mages – hot streak procs, Moonkin – Eclipse) and when one of these abilities miss then the DPS drop is much bigger. Even more, usually you need some kind of a combination of the low level attacks (you need a wrath crit for eclipse, you need two consecutive fireball crits for hot streak). And when one misses the high damage attack is less likely to even appear.

One more reason why you need to have a 100% hit chance are spell criticals. If you have a 3% to miss then you can just subtract that from your crit rating. Because of how the server handles hits and misses. Lets say you have to roll ,like you roll for loot from 1 to 100, (its all in one roll the hit, miss, critical, probably to save bandwidth and latency ). When you have a 100% chance to hit and a 30% crit rating, for example. You need to roll 71 or higher to score a crit. But when you have a 3% chance to miss then you need to roll higher than 3 to even hit the target so and the critical area is from 74 to 103. Obviously you cant roll over a 100, so that crit chance is effectively lost. Which means abilities that proc with spell criticals have a lower chance to appear again. So i would say being under the hit cap for 3% is a much bigger loss to DPS than 3%.

I can’t be sure how it is for melee though. For example as a feral DPS the hit cap is not important, because when ferals miss it’s only a loss of a global cooldown because ferals dont have any attack abilities that arent instant and dont have a cooldown. I’d think that melee that have cooldowns on abilities are more dependent on being hit capped than for example rogues and ferals.
Tank hit is a weird thing, because you need to be melee hit capped to get larger amounts of threat (8%), but your taunts can still miss because they are considered spells (17% miss rating with 0 hit). Paladin’s have a glyph that gives 8% hit chance to their taunts. And warriors should have mocking blow/commanding shout(I’m not sure about warriors, feel free to correct me) when their taunts miss. So the 8% melee cap should be OK for tanks, since spell hit scales better than melee hit with hit rating.

There are also abilities which increase your chance to hit ( for us, draenei heroic presence, improved fairy fire from a boomkin). So your hit cap isn’t that rigid but being capped really helps. It’s also useful to keep all the gear you have with hit rating on it. You never know when you get a great upgrade which doesn’t have any hit rating on it.

Feel free to ask questions and point out any mistakes i may have made, and I hope it will answer the questions you may have about hit rating. Also if anyone wants to add any information to the melee hit rating part, feel free to do so.
Back to top Go down
Lynqoid
Admin
Lynqoid

Character Information
Name: Lynqalot
Class: Warrior
Proffesions: Engineering/Mining

PostSubject: Re: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:46 am

Awesome post lomein, its excellent to help people with hit rating and why to get it, I believe hit rating is just as important for warriors if not even more if you think about this...

What you said..

Less hit =
Less chance to proc your damage abilities because of less chance to hit.
Less chance to crit because you might even just miss with your spells.

Warriors suffer from that too but even on top of that, if they miss they dont create any rage.
Missing rage has a knock on effect it then means slower DPS because you are waiting for rage, you could then
Miss again which would have a massive effect on your DPS, so hit rating is so important.
Back to top Go down
https://reset.forumotion.com
Souljaboi

Character Information
Name: Name
Class:
Proffesions: Proffesions

PostSubject: Re: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 3:30 am

Really thorough and great explanation of how hit rating works. At first i was doubting the importance of hit rating, and thinking crit rating and spell power were more important, but now with the latest bosses (Ulduar and ToC) I've really seen how much a high hit rating can affect your dps. You seem to really understand the math behind this system Smile
Back to top Go down
iir

Character Information
Name: Iir
Class: Paladin
Proffesions: Mining/Ench + JC/BS

PostSubject: Re: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 10:38 am

I am not entirely sure how correct this calculator is, but it should probably help out a bit when finding out your hitcap:

http://www.wow-heroes.com/hitcalculator.php
Back to top Go down
Ellexia

Ellexia

Character Information
Name: Ellexia
Proffesions: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chromaggus&n=Ellexia

PostSubject: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 7:57 am

To sum it up for those who are to lazy to read all this.

Spellcasters needs 17% hit.

Melees needs 8% hit.
Back to top Go down
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chromaggus&n=E
Sudo

Sudo

Character Information
Name: Lomein
Proffesions: Skinning, Leatherworking

PostSubject: Re: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 am

Nah. Every caster has a different hit rating to strive for, which is in the table i linked.
Back to top Go down
Lynqoid
Admin
Lynqoid

Character Information
Name: Lynqalot
Class: Warrior
Proffesions: Engineering/Mining

PostSubject: Re: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 9:33 am

Yes spell hit can vary drastically depending on which caster you are, also if you got talents for hit you will need to collect less too... potentially...
Back to top Go down
https://reset.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The importance of hit rating   The importance of hit rating Empty

Back to top Go down

The importance of hit rating
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: World of Warcraft :: General Chat-
Jump to: